Thursday, August 7, 2008

AFSer Shannon Voluteers in Ghana




Let's fast forward to today - our first day at the orphanage. We picked up everyone on the good ole' AFS bus and headed over to Peace and Love Orphanage which is in Accra. My task for the day was painting this small classroom. We sanded it down and cleaned it and painted it all blue. I hope they weren't expecting too much quality because none of us had really painted before and it was kinda sloppy. I mean, I tried really hard though. While we were painting some of the kids wandered in to say hello and...I just can't even take it! These are pretty much the best kids I've ever met in my life. They are all so incredibly friendly. This one kid was very businesslike, he came in and shook my head, and said, 'I'm Francis, what is your name?'so I told him and then he just whipped out this notepad and pen where he keeps a list of email addresses. We talked for awhile (I think I was supposed to be painting?) and I ended up promising to get him a soccer ball. In the whole orphanage they don't even seem to have a soccer ball...I practically threw out my back giving piggyback rides. Read more.

AFS offers year, semester and summer programs to Ghana.


No comments: