Wednesday, June 17, 2009

AFS Exchange Student Amy: Farm Stay in Iceland





My 1 week farm homestay. It was amazing. I was on a farm called Efri-Ey, and it is about a 30 minute drive from the nearest town of Kirkjubæjarklaustur (how´s that for a long name?!) which has 150 inhabitants. So basically it´s in the middle of nowhere. It is in the southeast of Iceland, and took about 5 hours by bus to get there. When I arrived in Kirkjubæjarklaustur, I was warmly welcomed by Maria (the German exchanger who I visited in Patreksfjörður during Easter... she moved to the farm 2 minutes down the road from Efri-Ey) and also by Sigrún, the daughter of the farm lady, and Andrea, Sigrún´s 17 year old daughter. Then I got to the farm and met Sara and Þórir, the owners of the farm. They are around 70 years old, and Þórir is ill so Sara does pretty much all of the work. The farm work was really fun. Read more.

AFS offers year programs to Iceland.



No comments: